Author Interview: Sara Dobie Bauer




  1. What is your writing schedule like?

I write fiction every morning for a couple hours. If I don’t, I get twitchy. Since I’m a journalist and book reviewer for my job, though, I’m pretty much either writing or reading all day long. Sometimes, by nightfall, I’ve forgotten how to communicate with other humans. I just walk around the house typing answers to my husband’s questions.

  1. Do you have any other passions besides writing? If yes, what are they? Why?

Benedict Cumberbatch. This is my husband’s fault. He was watching TV one day—some show called Sherlock—and he said, “Babe, you gotta come watch this monologue.” I walked in, saw Benedict in a black suit, and was done. Now, I have an obsessive Tumblr fan page, a t-shirt that reads “Cumberbitch,” and a penchant for screaming when he’s on TV.

  1. What is your favorite guilty pleasure?

Absinthe. I drink the stuff like water … which is a terrible, wonderful idea.

  1. Did you always know you wanted to be an author?

Yes, and I tried to fight it for years. In college, I was a journalism major first, then a theater major, and finally, a creative writing major. After college, I worked for a newspaper, I was a bartender, I sang in a band, and I got a “real job” as a publicist. Finally, one day, I realized I was miserable, quit everything, and became a starving artist. Haven’t looked back.


  1. Please tell us about your most recent release and where we can purchase it.

Bite Somebody has been called Pretty in Pink with vampires. 

About the book:

“Do you want to be perfect?”

That’s what Danny asked Celia the night he turned her into a vampire. Three months have passed since, and immortality didn’t transform her into the glamorous, sexy vamp she was expecting, but left her awkward, lonely, and working at a Florida gas station. On top of that, she’s a giant screw-up of an immortal, because the only blood she consumes is from illegally obtained hospital blood bags. 

What she needs to do—according to her moody vampire friend Imogene—is just … bite somebody. But Celia wants her first bite to be special, and she has yet to meet Mr. Right Bite. Then, Ian moves in next door. His scent creeps through her kitchen wall and makes her nose tingle, but insecure Celia can’t bring herself to meet the guy face-to-face.

When she finally gets a look at Ian’s cyclist physique, curly black hair, and sun-kissed skin, other parts of Celia tingle, as well. Could he be the first bite she’s been waiting for to complete her vampire transformation? His kisses certainly have a way of making her fangs throb.

Just when Celia starts to believe Ian may be the fairy tale ending she always wanted, her jerk of a creator returns to town, which spells nothing but trouble for everyone involved.

You can buy it on Amazon or directly from World Weaver Press.

  1. Give us an insight into your main character. What does he/she do that is so special?

Celia is a semi-chubby, awkward newbie vampire who’s never been in love and desperately wants to be. What makes her so special is possibly that she isn’t Special. She’s not a superhero. She’s a nerd. She does the embarrassing, stupid things we all do. Oh, so that’s what makes her Special: she’s you and me, only undead.

  1. Is your latest release part of a series? If yes, tell us a bit about it.

Well, it’s wasn’t … until my editor at World Weaver Press got the crazy idea into her head that Bite Somebody should be the first of two. I only recently finished writing the sequel, Bite Somebody Else, and instead of seeing things from Celia’s perspective, the story will be told from that of her totally insane, purple-haired sidekick, Imogene (who, I’ve been told, is a semi-autobiographical version of me).

  1. What are you working on at the minute?

I’m happily creating a series of novellas for Pen and Kink Publishing that feature magic and romance. My stories take place in Charleston, South Carolina, and feature a dreadlocked witch waiting for the magic apocalypse and a heartbroken Irishman.

  1. Do you read much and if so who are your favourite authors.

I read constantly. I do sometimes have to read books not of my choosing as a book reviewer, but I also read books more my style. What’s my style? I try everything, although I prefer the supernatural. I prefer the darker side. But sometimes, it’s fun to read some smut. Favorite authors include Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Neil Gaiman, and Christopher Moore.

  1. What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
They say you can’t write in a vacuum. Write in a vacuum. While creating, you can’t be looking around at what other people think of you, what other people are doing. When creating, live in the world you’re writing, and don’t worry what other people think. That said, only “create” for a certain amount of time a day. Then, live your life. You have to find a balance between the fictional world and the real one. But even in the real world, don’t compare yourself to other people and certainly don’t give a hoot what they think. In the words of RDJ, “Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the f*** you were gonna do anyway.”

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorSaraDobieBauer


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home for the Holidays Blog Hop

A Summer for Love Blog Hop #SummerForLove

Spotlight: Break For Me (Secrets & Shadows #.6) - Shiloh Walker